Dec 2, 2008

Anyone care for a chair?

So..... here's an update as to what's been occupying our time for the last few days. Part of Jenn's assignment in this latest studio was to build part of her design at a 1:1 scale (full size). So she decided that she would build one of the moveable furniture items she had designed, which was a chair/recliner. Not quite sure which word describes it best... You'll have to be the judges on that. I was her 'helper monkey' which was quite enjoyable... although there were some moments of disagreement and frustration :)

We started Saturday morning off with a good breakfast at Tim Horton's, then onto Home Depot & Rona to select materials; plywood for the structure, and red cedar for the seat. Oh, and to rent a jig saw and a belt sander. (It's so weird for me to have to rent tools; I guess I'm more than a bit spoiled with having Dad's tools accessible for any projects I want.) I was able to borrow a nice hammer drill & mitre saw from Michael, and some saw horses from someone else.... so at least I didn't have to rent everything.

The rest of Saturday consisted of layout, cutting, predrilling & spray painting. Sunday afternoon/evening we started assembling, then finished the assembly on Monday night & tonight. Here's some pics & movies so you know what I'm talking about.... enjoy!





As you can see from the first few clips; it's cold and we have snow. That's something else I'm spoiled with; I'm used to having a heated shop to work in! We did bring a thermos of coffee outside to make it a bit more bearable; for assembly last night it was -20; so we dragged everything inside and set up on our kitchen table!


And it's finished!




3 comments:

Rachel ... the penguin said...

Hey you! Looks like a fun project - a little cold working on it outside, but fun anyways. You guys make me laugh with your crazy antics on video. Thanks for the glimpse into your lives in winterland. See you soon!
Rachel

Heather said...

Love the chair....and what's with the block heaters??? Are you cold or something??? Better hurry up and get out here !! Love you both !! Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Really cool chair! But you know most of us "Wall's" are short so I guess we'll just have to lie down and use it for a bed,eh? So, I'm trying to figure this out - you have to design furniture as part of your landscape architecture program (or is it patio furniture?)I guess that makes sense - you need furniture to go with your garden, right? Yes, definitely, Dan is spoiled working in a heated shop - one more reason to move back to beautiful BC! - Love, Mom Wall