Nov 12, 2008

Update...

Hey All....


Past due for an update... where to start? How about starting with a very cute baby... here's a quick slideshow I put together of Brielle, my niece who is now 4+ months old! (Song from Steve Bell's cd 'Sons & Daughters'....)


These next pics are from Thanksgiving, which we spent out at a cabin in Ontario with some friends; Michael & Esther (our landlords) and Henry & Shirley, who are an older couple that we know here in Winnipeg through Michael & Esther. Henry & Shirley caretake this cabin for a family that works for the UN, and only return to Canada in the summer. It's a neat rustic place on a small lake, with a main cabin, plus a sleeping cabin. It was a lot of fun; games, food (what a surprise), sleep, and a good 2+ hour hike that Michael and I went on during which we got absolutely soaked... so much fun :) We even had turkey dinner, with stuffing... Henry made turkey rollups, which was comprised of a turkey sliced into thin slabs, rolled around a stuffing mixture, then barbequed. Sooooo good.


Also some pics in this one from when we hung out with friends (Michael & Esther, and Chris and Allison Danielsen) on Halloween. T'was good fun; a bit of wine, a bit of appetizers, a bit of pumpkin carving. Ours was the one with the crazy eyebrows. They looked much friendlier with the lights on. :) Can you guess what the last picture is of?

The music is something I have just discovered - Steven Delopolous, formerly of Burlap to Cashmere. (some of you should recognize that name?)




Those are the highlights in our pictures, although we haven't been very good at taking pictures lately. We have been very thankful for the number of friends we have here, and have been doing a lot with them, from games nights, to nachos & bowling, coffee, etc...


One last pic; since most of you have heard a bit about my friend Mark Friesen, I thought I would post a pic of him so that you know what the guy looks like. This is from when he got me involved in helping out with Love Winnipeg, which is how I met Michael Banman, now a friend/coworker of mine, who helped get me the job at Stantec.


It has been a blessing and an adventure for me to know Mark; he's the kind of guy that just gets you involved & doing stuff... from serving breakfast at Siloam Mission, to playing guitar for a chapel service at the prison, to biking the hardest trails I've ever ridden (while he and the other guys we were with were very patient with me...), to fiddling with a portable climbing wall... (more on this later, once we get it working). This winter there are plans of building quinzhees and camping out for a night or 2, which I haven't done since Explore, ice climbing, and last time when Jenn and I were hanging out with him, his wife Heidy, and their daughter Kara, there was discussion of something called a poor man's bungie... both moms: don't ask what that is :)

That's it for now; hopefully our next post won't be as long in coming as this one was...

11 comments:

Rachel ... the penguin said...

Okay, so I was just going to shut my computer down for the night when I saw your email and figured I had to come take a look. Nice bed-time reading...love the pics and the update. But I really was hoping for a pink tuxedo. I guess a pink baby is good enough. :)

Rachel

Rachel ... the penguin said...

By the way, is it looking down into the pumpkin from the top? Or is it just a closeup of one of the holes you cut? Those are my guesses of the last picture in your video.
Time to go to sleep now...

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan, What a great update. You guys are blessed with some wonderful friendships, and isn't the scenery grand??
Love the pictures of Brielle, the music....you know how to put it together!
Looking forward to more good times at Christmas.
"Grandma" Ruth

Heather said...

Wow...look at all the comments already!! You must be so pleased!!! Loved the pics, definitely a loooooonnnnnngggggg time in coming (I've been checking often). Brielle is so cute! Your fall has been amazing and your friendships awesome! Enjoy the last weeks before Christmas...love you both, Mom & Dad J.

Katrina Janzen said...

so i am thinking it is a picture of the Muslim armageddon....am i right?

Anonymous said...

hey! finally checked the blog! what an adorable niece. ;) and what an honor to have made the blog. appreciate you guys!!
melissa

Unknown said...

I'm very interested in this poor man's bungie mentioned

Anonymous said...

ahh a glimpse into the life & minds of Dan & Jenn. Fascinating.
:):) Becca

Anonymous said...

I do agree that Brielle is the cutest grandchild but before YOU can have a grandchild there are certain things that need to happen first....
You do us proud in the way you serve with others- learning/modelling with things that matter.
The last picture? a closeup of the pumpkin 'eye'.
Love you both, Dad & Mom W.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I won't ask about the "bungee jumping" thing - it always looks scary when they do it on tv. I like the pictures and the songs you picked; by the way, re: Rachel's comment re: pink tuxedo - I think a pink baby is better than a pink tuxedo. All the best to you both - Jenn, with your assignments (hear you're looking forward to being done) and Dan with work and other stuff. Love, Mom & Dad Wall

Dan Wall said...

Woohoo - Indeed it is nice to have all these comments coming in... have to send out an accompanying email with all our posts.

Kat. You were very close with the Muslim Armageddon thing. Except that those who guessed looking top-down into a pumpkin were closer. Jenn likes that one cuz she says it 'burns her retinas'...