This is Jenn and it's my first time posting on our blog! How fun is this!
“My spirits were elevated by the enchanting appearance of nature; the past was blotted from my memory, the present was tranquil, and the future gilded by bright rays of hope and anticipations of joy.” – Mary Shelley from Frankenstein
“For his part, every beauty of art or nature made him thankful as well as happy, and that the pleasure to be had in listening to fine music, as in looking at the stars in the sky, or at a beautiful landscape or picture, was a benefit for which we might thank Heaven as sincerely as for any other worldly blessing.” – William Makepeace Thackeray from Vanity Fair.
Both of these quotes really express the impact that the landscape has had on me. Granted, much of what I envision when I hear the word ‘landscape’ involves a babbling brook, trees gently swaying in the breeze, and a frog crooking in the background. However, as I have begun to learn more about the field of landscape architecture, I realize that I can apply my feelings towards an ‘undisturbed, wild, natural, landscape’ to the built landscape as well. I strongly agree with Le Corbusier’s desire to want to bring the nature back into the lives of people. Today my husband and I were driving down Route 90, when I noticed that there were several houses that had no trees, bushes, or any vegetation besides grass. I was very appalled because the houses were at least from the 1970’s and nothing has been done in the past 35 years. In the summer there would be no shade, and in the winter nothing to protect you from the wind. Alas, it was a very unfortunate site. The landscape whether built or ‘natural’ is definitely a blessing to have and to enjoy. Who has not found tranquility and peace when walking though a park or forest? Landscapes make time move very slowly because nature does not care about the speed in which our culture tends to operate. Landscapes help you clear your mind, help you focus, and create a refreshing start to whatever lies ahead. Even through landscapes are complicated designs they ‘feel’ less complicated than our lives. Therefore, when I am within a landscape everything becomes more ‘simple’ and refined. Landscapes have purity, an innocence that seems to be outside our grasp as humans.
Nov 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Jenn, how thought-provoking. I do agree...I went for a walk this afternoon in the park behind my place - it is so beautiful (even though it is wet) with all the leaves covering the ground...it really makes me thankful for nature whether it is planned or not. It is a place of peace and tranquility in spite of the busyness of life.
Maybe you'll have to go knocking on the doors of those houses with barren landscapes and offer to bring them a sense of simplicity and wonder at the awesomeness of God's creation. :)
Hmmm....deep Jenn. Good thought for the day, or week! I like the Frankenstein quote it brings me back to my lit class. :) A good reminder to take the time to enjoy the nature and to help create it as well. xoxoxo
Just what I needed to hear today admist my studying for finals! Slow down and enjoy the beauty around me! Get lost in a moment of beauty. Thanks Jenn!
Yes yes! My favourite landscape also comes out when I'm out for a walk, but it has to be a clear evening. Looking up -- the stars, so many of them, and so far away, it boggles my mind every time, and brings back the wonder and amazement that I am too busy to keep in mind. Thanks for this Jenn.
That's some serious stuff. Much of this world is out of our grasp, like a thick fog of mystery, like a swirling whirlpool going down, down...down. And that bird in the springtime. God has shared with us a lot...gift of creation. For our enjoyment of mystery and awesomeness!
Hmmmm.....I think it may be time for an update you two! :)
Post a Comment